canberrabirds

Crakes: any biologists out there?

To: <>
Subject: Crakes: any biologists out there?
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 14:52:07 +1100

Reported crake sightings at Kelly’s have gone up over the last few months.  (By ‘crakes’ I am referring to Spotted, Spotless, Baillons.)  Numbers reported from some other places seem to be unusually high also, eg Fivebough.  Surely this is because the places referred to are, at least temporarily, as long as they remain wet, drought refuges, given the drying of crake habitat elsewhere.

When a wetland dries, the resident crakes would not just stay there and die; they would try to move elsewhere if they could.

I suppose with the ‘normal’ cycle of drought and wet periods crakes might have adapted to a cycle of retreat and redispersing, that is they would be capable of cross-country flights of the distance required.  However if the drying is longer and more widespread and severe than normal, surely this would seriously affect the base population.  I would assume, for example, that unnatural concentrations at a smaller number of places would affect breeding  There must be significant hazards in movement across country  -  cats, foxes, motor vehicles.  There may also be a scarcity of staging points, due to agricultural development.

I remember an excursion to East O’Malley with Dick Schodde, just after the fires.  We were watching a large number of Yellow-tailed Blacks ransacking the nearby gardens.   He said ‘This is really sad, of course.  Theyr’e here for the wrong reasons’.

I only mention this because more – and more easily seen – crakes is not to me an entirely good thing.  It is certainly not an occasion for ‘Crikey, what a lot of those great little crakes there are after all!’  When the crakes come out to follow the edge of the retreating water, it is not because they want to.  It is because there is no food back in the dry cover, where they’d rather be.

I don’t know if there has been any relevant measurement of what is going on.  I suppose not, given the unique character of the present dry.  To some extent, conclusions about waterbird trends generally might be relevant.  The huge numbers of Glossy Ibis at Fivebough is perhaps a parallel trend.  It is not a good sign.