canberrabirds

Re: Re: [canberrabirds] Magpie Lark nests in exotic trees

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: Re: [canberrabirds] Magpie Lark nests in exotic trees
From: "Jack and Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 21:41:13 +1100
Shawn, an interesting site and nest which looks very much like one currently being attended in a gum tree across the fence in my neighbour's backyard.

For the 2004-5 and 2005-6 seasons a pair of magpie-larks were seen busily building in two different trees in my GBS site.  However, despite much nest defending and incessant attacking of our windows, neither nest was successful, in fact I doubt if eggs were laid as a bird was only occasionally on the nest.

This season a pair has rebuilt on top of the last year's nest, and looks even more of a "double decker" than the one in the photo.  Building took a long time, and again a similar pattern has ensued as in previous seasons.  It is only recently that a bird has been seen on the nest with any regularity, and from the high position it sits in the nest, the old nest was either filled in or, less likely, a new bottom was built.

Jack Holland