canberrabirds

Fw: [canberrabirds] Fw: Pheasant-tailed Coucal southern limit

Subject: Fw: [canberrabirds] Fw: Pheasant-tailed Coucal southern limit
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 16:38:32 +1100

I am forwarding the email below from Caroline Blackmore to the list.

----- Forwarded by Marnix Zwankhuizen/ACT/AEC on 23/11/2006 04:37 PM -----

             Caroline
             Blackmore
             du.au>
                                                                        cc
             23/11/2006 03:48
             PM                                                    Subject
                                          Re: [canberrabirds] Fw:
                                          Pheasant-tailed Coucal southern
                                          limit

                                                            Classification
                                          |-------------------|
                                          | [X] Unclassified  |
                                          | [ ] In Confidence |
                                          |-------------------|

Hi Marnix
For some reason I can't post messages on the COG list although I can
receive them - maybe you could post this for me.
I found the coucal report interesting because there's also a one in
the Warrumbungle NP at the moment. This isn't as far from their usual
range but it's only the second record. As in Canberra, there's been
an marked increase in the Coonabarabran region in koel and
channel-billed activity over the past few years (although we're well
within the range of those spp.) - maybe the coucals are following suit.
Cheers
Caroline

At 09:28 AM 23/11/2006, you wrote:
>I don't know Mike, but can't help wondering if a Lyrebird isn't a
>much more likely explanation for his sighting, given the locality?
>There is a long tradition in Australia of referring to lyrebirds as
pheasants.

>cheers
>
>Ian
>
>---
>Ian Fraser,
>Environment Tours; Vertego Environmental Wordsmithing
>GPO Box 3268, Canberra, ACT 2601
>ph: 61 2 6249 1560  fax: 61 2 6247 3227
>---
>

>--

>List manager: David McDonald, phone (02) 6231 8904; email
><>

Caroline Blackmore
Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies
Australian National University
CANBERRA  ACT  0200
Tel.  (61-2) 6842-2192
Fax. (61-2) 6125-0757

IMPORTANT:
This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain
confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify us immediately by telephone on (02) 6271 4777 and delete all copies of
this transmission together with any attachments.