canberrabirds

Magpie Lark nests in exotic trees

To: "Overs, Anthony \(REPS\)" <>
Subject: Magpie Lark nests in exotic trees
From: John Brannan <>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:24:57 +1100
As a further addition, Pee Wees seem happy to build their nests in the birch trees around Lake Ginninderra.

John Brannan

Overs, Anthony (REPS) wrote:

Just to add to Graeme’s obs about pee wees, they sometimes nest in exotic trees in the parliament house courtyards. There was a nest in a tree only about three metres above the ground, but it was so well hidden amongst the leaves I didn’t even notice it was there until the leaves dropped in autumn. The nest sat there all winter in a bare tree and finally fell off a month or so ago. Two years ago, a pair of birds nested on top of the glass walkway between the main building and the house of reps wing. I guess any flat surface is good to sit a mud nest on.

Anthony