canberrabirds

Out Wagga Way

To: <>
Subject: Out Wagga Way
From: "Shaun Bagley" <>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 21:28:27 +1100
Spent the weekend on a farm about 25km E of Wagga, right opposite Borambula Fitness & Recreation Centre. The farm itself looks like it would normally in late summer. Very little feed in the paddocks and water in the dams evaporating fast. Birdlife however, seemed to be doing quite well possibly spurred by masses of Yellow Box blossoms. The highlights for me were strangely congruent with the COG chatline subjects of late.

Saw small parties of Superb Parrots flying overhead each day (3 &10). Quite where they were going I'm not sure as they were headed away from the woodlands along Tarcutta Creek towards the barren hills of the surrounding farmland but on exactly the same flight pattern each time. My host referred to them as Greenies and not something that he has seen in a long time.

Visiting a now-defunct orchard my hostess used to work in was given a perfect class in Singing Bushlark v. Brown Songlark along a roadside fenceline, not once but three times in a stetch of a few hundred metres. Suspect that the fairly long grass along the road as opposed to the bleached paddocks made it attractive but it was quite interesting to see both species set up as it were alongside one another 3 times in a row.

Also visited the Borambula Winery, actually the orginal homestead for a 7000 acre property of yore, where I saw some juvenile Red-capped Robins learning their trade alongside a bevy of intros (sparrows, starlings, goldfinches) in an oasis of a garden with vines encircling it. Beautiful and worth the stop for a wee taste (I liked their Bunya Bunya chardonnay named for the 2 tress of same in the garden) and relaxation.

Cheers

Shaun Bagley