canberrabirds

Posting from 'Parrot Place', Holt

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Posting from 'Parrot Place', Holt
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 20:06:46 +1100
On 31 October, I posted the following:

"At 1640 today I saw nine King Parrots accompanied by three Eastern Rosellas feeding beneath trees at the edge of Holt Oval in Beaurepaire Crescent. Perhaps a bit unusual for me to see more than a pair or a trio of King Parrots around Holt outside the colder months."

Then, at 1720 today, enroute to the Kippax shops, virtually where I'd stopped to view the King Parrots, I glanced across and saw a group of bright-green parrots grazing on the oval. Although I'd been instructed to hurry, I stopped and walked to within 25 metres, and easily ID'd them as eight Superb Parrots. At a bit of a guess, sans binoculars, I'm reasonably sure they were all mature birds.

Ten minutes later, on the return trip, I stopped again but the Superb Parrots were gone. I scanned the oval and walked along beneath the trees hoping to sight them in the folliage. Persistence was rewarded when, near the cricket practice nets, I flushed a male. It flew to a tree 15 metres away and flushed again as I approached. It flew back to a tree near the cricket nets.

I sped home (keeping within the speed limit) and entered the kitchen where Younger Brat was busily preparing some wonderful Cajun chicken dish for dinner. "Where have you been? I'm waiting on the ground chilli. Did you get it?" I chucked it at her.

You know, I darn near told the demanding little skirt to go to the shops herself. I'm kinda glad I didn't now. And the Cajun chicken is beginning to smell mighty good, but am informed it will be another ten minutes. I don't know what she's dithering about at. Maybe, if I confiscated her Ipod ...

John Layton