canberrabirds

Fwd: Turquoise Parrot [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: "Vikki Gibson" <>
Subject: Fwd: Turquoise Parrot [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 16:25:53 +1100 (EST)
Vikki
Thank you for sending your photos, and I hope you don't mind me responding
to you publicly on the COG list, but I think this is an important and
interesting observation.  I don't pretend to me an expert, but the bird
you observed and photographed looks like a male Turquoise Parrot, although
it only shows a trace of red in the wing.  Yes, the species is unusual in
Canberra and requires a report to the Rarities Committee for the record to
be formally accepted.  Your observation is particularly interesting
because Alastair Smith and I found a female of the species at the same
location a few weeks ago.  It has been questioned whether the bird that I
saw was a genuine wild bird because (from the photos I took) it apparently
looks like a 'dilute mutation' (don't ask me to explain precisely what
that is, but they are apparently common cagebird varieties that I assume
are paler than the real thing), and because Jerrabomberra Wetlands is not
thought to be a likely locality for Turquoise parrots to favour.  It would
be useful to know precisely where you saw your bird and how it was
behaving.
Regards
Frank