canberrabirds

RSPCA observations

To: <>
Subject: RSPCA observations
From: "Marg & Jim Peachey" <>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 08:41:08 +1100
Hi Everyone,

Since doing the garden bird survey at the RSPCA I have seen many different birds.  This, to me, is quite surprising seeing it is a hostile dog and cat area in the middle of burnt out Weston.

To list:

A pair of black shouldered kites that appear year round hunting in the unused burnt pine forest opposite the RSPCA
Diamond firetails turning up usually only on one or two days each spring
Quite a few superb fairy wrens that are there year round and I think I know where they are nesting but the shrub is too thick and spikey to see
One lonely willy wagtail that calls on the wildlife cottage steps and has been seen catching moths in the security light beams after dark
A pair of eastern rosellas seen this year
Crimson rosellas that come and go
Yellow rumped thornbills from time to time, but just recently I have discovered a very elaborate nest with adults in attendance in a scrappy pine tree thingy in the back yard
Crested pigeons who last year nested somewhere and one fledgling was caught by a dog
A pair of magpies who nest regularly in a closeby tree and are very agro towards the adult magpies we have in the aviary
A pair of plovers who I suspect nest somewhere at the Defence Staff College up the road, and who brought two young to our front lawn last year
The occasional king parrot
A pair of pee wees - the male bashes against our office window regularly and craps on my car side mirror constantly
Some cockatoos and galahs that are not in residence
Many sparrows, some mynas and too many feral pigeons

cheers,

Marg Peachey
Wildlife Officer
RSPCA (ACT) Inc