canberrabirds

Red-capped Robin

To: "'Stuart Harris'" <>, <>
Subject: Red-capped Robin
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 19:23:24 +1100
Hi Stuart,

I don't know if you could call the Red-capped Robin an altitudinal migrant
but it certainly has been recorded pretty close to the top of the local
ranges. Way back in the late 60's when Steve Wilson was banding at New Chums
and Lees Creek Roads in the Brindabella Ranges we caught and banded several
R-c R's (plus the other 4 red robins). From memory we also caught them at a
former site along the Lake Road at Lake George and I think we may have also
caught all 5 species in the ANBG. The species is what I consider to be
"erratically" nomadic and appears to turn up in all sorts of places when
least expected as with the ones in the ranges. To give you an idea as to how
unpredictable they are, of 43 we have banded at Charcoal Tank over 20 years,
we have only retrapped 2, the oldest only 1 month later. Similarly for
Buddigower just down the road from CT the figures are 34, 0 and 0. They do
not always occur in these reserves despite having what most people would
consider ideal habitat for them. Probably the two best references to check
are Birds in the Australian High Country and Steve's recent excellent book
on the ACT. These may give you a bit better insight into the species
locally.

Hope this helps,

Mark