canberrabirds

still babbling - another possible record from old GBS

To: <>
Subject: still babbling - another possible record from old GBS
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 19:03:31 +1100
Noting this (below) and the article by Nicki Taws in the latest CBN about a White-browed Babbler, brings me to mention that one of the GBS Charts in I think the late 1980s included a record of a babbler (I don't recall the details). When creating the GBS database I did not input this record into the GBS database for a selection of reasons - and now I am thinking back over about ten years - these include:

The record was not included in the ABR for that year, which suggests the ABR compilers had reason to doubt it at the time. Maybe the Rarities Panel of the day had declined it?
The observer appeared unknown at the time (maybe anonymous), as in I don't recall the name was known to me or appeared elsewhere in COG records.
The GBS chart itself was not well-kept (maybe it didn't have an address) and this babbler was not the only strange record on it. So I had doubts about the id skills of the person.
There was no way to verify it so long after the event.
I had already been getting nowhere, trying to obtain from the (then) Rarities Panel, a form of words to use, in what was eventually to become the GBS Report, to cater for the situation as to what credibility to give to rare birds mentioned on the charts that were not endorsed at the time and for which, owing to the lapse of time, it would be hard to confirm. Especially when the record is likely to be correct. Obviously there were not many, some such as this one were left out, others, later proved to be not so rare, such as Crested Pigeons, Koels, Black Kites & Whistling Kites were left in.
I don't even recall whether other data from this particular chart was included or whether the whole chart was ignored but I think the chart itself was kept. In which case, someone may be willing to spend ages searching for it.
So my point is, I have no idea if the observation was valid but it has not appeared and given other records, maybe it is feasible.