canberrabirds

Blitzing Highlights

To: <>
Subject: Blitzing Highlights
From: "Jack and Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 18:37:12 +1000
While my big day will come tomorrow, a number of sightings today in my local patch on the NW end of Cooleman Ridge were noteworthy, no doubt helped by the better weather than forecast.

First up on the SW track I was very pleased to record the Southern Whitefaces which I see from time to time, but even more pleased to find them feeding 3 dependent young.  After I flushed them they huddled together on the track while the parents happily foraged and fed them within 10 m of me holding 2 beagle dogs.  Close by were 3 Diamond Firetail, and earlier I had recorded at least a dozen Brown Quail, a number of which obligingly refused to take to the air but ran in front of us.  A couple of Stubble Quail were also in the area.

An hour later at the NW end of the Ridge, I observed a pair of White-browed Woodswallows building a nest.  This is the first time I have recorded this species here in nearly 30 years of watching birds in the area, and it was well worth crawling under the fence to confirm the breeding record.  A number of Diamond Firetail were also present, some carrying nesting material, and Horsefield's Bronze-cuckoo was calling nearby, the first here this season.  However, the trillers and songlarks, while still present, were much less conspicuous than they were on Wednesday morning after the showers we had.

This afternoon I surveyed the edge of the former Narrabundah Hill pine plantation and the Chapman horse paddocks.  This area has been very quiet for the past month, but yielded a Golden-headed Cisticola, only the second seen here I've seen since the fires, as well as several European Goldfinches, which are relatively uncommon these days as opposed to 30 years ago.

I'm looking forward to a good day's surveying in Namadgi tomorrow, and trust everyone is enjoying the participating in the blitz as much as I am.

Jack Holland