canberrabirds

Where have all the Boobooks gone?

Subject: Where have all the Boobooks gone?
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 21:10:46 +1000
Milburns wrote:
It is mid October and this reminds me that I have not heard a Boobook in Canberra since before the bushfires of January 2003 (although I have found them in daytime roosts). Is this a shared experience? If so does anyone have a rationale for this? Clearly the species is still present in the ACT but it has become very inconspicuous.

I heard one calling in the vicinity of the embassies on Empire Circuit
in Yarralumla a couple of nights ago.  They've been around over the
last few years, but they have been a bit inconspicuous - probably as
much due to me not listening for them as anything else.

Gang-Gang and Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos became more conspicuous for a couple of years post inferno but they also appear to have decreased in numbers during the last 12 months.

I haven't noticed any shortage of Gang-gangs in the Yarralumla/Deakin
area, but the large flocks of YTBCs have certainly departed; I heard
at least one a few weeks ago, which was the first for some time.