canberrabirds

Active wedge tail eagles nest?

To: <>
Subject: Active wedge tail eagles nest?
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 20:24:18 +1000

I don’t think Philip’s comment has quite got to the heart of the confusion.  There are two separate meanings attributed to the verb ‘fledge’ :  (a) traditional:  to acquire flight feathers (b) recent  ‘scientific’:  to fly from the nest.  So far as I am aware, the noun ‘fledgling’ is used only in relation to sense (a) ie applying to a bird that has acquired flight feathers but not yet left the nest.  The best word for a bird that has left the nest is perhaps ‘juvenile’.  Were it otherwise there would be no end point to ‘fledgling’, which would become hopelessly confusing.

Clarity is not promoted by asserting that one sense or the other is correct.  Anyone using ‘fledge’ in any of its forms should clarify the sense in which they are using it.