canberrabirds

ACT bird books and replying to COG line

To: "'Julian Robinson'" <>, <>
Subject: ACT bird books and replying to COG line
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 20:30:08 +1000

This subject is pretty basic to the way this list operates.  Julian makes some fair points.

I would argue for the present arrangement.

(1)     Julian’s example of ‘I think I saw a Grey Goshawk’ is not typical.  Of course there were others who, tantalized, wanted to know the answer.  It was understandable that those who said ‘No it’s not’ replied directly.  I sent Julian a scan of the HANZAB/Debus guide pics of the relevant underviews – maybe 500kb.  I wasn’t going to send that to the list.

(2)     When a message is headed “COG Waterbird Outing” there is no way you are going to know that a reply headed “COG Waterbird Outing” will just say “Please book me on the outing”.   Headings are a poor guide to content.

(3)      I won’t bore you with my own experience of ‘other groups’.  All groups have their own cultures, needs and aspirations.

(4)     The main reason I usually ‘reply direct’ – and will do so even if there’s a change in the protocol -  is because of the common practice of ‘lateral sniping’.  This, in my view, is unproductive, and takes many forms.  For example, in the message Julian mentions I gave my view on the most useful places to find info on the seasonal movements of Canberra birds.  This led to a protracted exchange on what was wrong with other books, and what books were good, or not good, for any purpose at all.  It even led to a message about who’d lend anyone else a copy of their HANZAB (a partial answer to which is that copies can be consulted at eg the National and Woden Libraries).