canberrabirds

Azure kingfisher

Subject: Azure kingfisher
From: Lee Welling <>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 17:00:10 +1000
Hello Marnix

I don't consciously remember seeing a white collar, although my eye was initially drawn to what I would describe as a bright orange breast, which was the reason I discounted it being a Sacred Kingfisher. However, you seem to suggest that the Sacred Kingfisher you saw in the same area had "plenty of buff colouring", so maybe I was mistaken. Other reasons for me thinking this to be an Azure Kingfisher was the long black beak and the brilliant metallic blue sheen of its wings and back catching the sun whilst in flight.

Lee

Hello Lee,

I popped out to take a look this afternoon at 3.15pm. I found a Sacred Kingfisher with plenty of buff colouring. It had the full white collar which an Azure Kingfisher doesnt have. Whether it is the same bird you saw I dont know. Its not impossible for an Azure Kingfisher to show up there as one was reported from nearby willow-lined Sullivans Creek back in the 90s.

At one point the Sacred Kingfisher investigated a small tree hollow.

Cheers
Marnix

Lee Welling <>
27/09/2006 02:07 PM

cc
Subject
[canberrabirds] Azure kingfisher
  Classification

Whilst walking on the dirt track that runs through the wooded section
of the eastern shore of Acton Peninsular, just near the old hospice,
I saw the unmistakable sight of an Azure Kingfisher. It fluttered
from tree to tree, maybe alarmed at my presence, but not enough to
leave the area. When I later mentioned the sighting to a colleague -
a more experienced birder than I - he informed me that that Azure
Kingfishers are quite rare in the ACT. The sighting occurred at
approximately 1.00 pm on Tuesday 26 September.
Lee Welling (MRACI; CChem)
Laboratories and Safety Coordinator
Research School of Chemistry
Australian National University