canberrabirds

RE:Tiercels...

To: "terry gourlay" <>, <>
Subject: RE:Tiercels...
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 12:58:10 +1000
Oh dear here we go. I recall it as the Peregrine (not Goshawks) being called "gentle" because of their habit of killing instantly or quickly or by knockout, and then biting the neck, as distinct from the goshawks that were NOT gentle, due to their method of killing by crushing. How killing could be described as gentle is a little peculiar. So Tiercel Gentle was a male Falcon (not in the sense that Falcon was the female but in the sense that Falcon is a member of the genus Falco). The quote from Shakespeare I suggest more likely relates to a falcon (though I don't know the context). I don't know that males are more gentle than females. Hawks have a crushing reflex in their feet. As far as I know, falcons don't. Does anyone believe differently?