canberrabirds

Grey Gosshawk

Subject: Grey Gosshawk
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:21:56 +1000
Thanks Philip, as you can see (by the fact that I posted the question) I was very uncertain.  Mine doesn't look like the book illustrations for either the Brown or the Grey.  I've learnt that the underneath of the Brown is actually more grey than brown, which is a Very Useful Fact.  And as you say, the Grey is almost white underneath, in both morphs.

Thanks also to the several people who replied very informatively off-list, which prompts me to request again that people consider sending more of their replies to the list itself -- there is SO much useful info in these backchannel (off-list) replies, particularly useful for non-vocal and lesser-expert members.  The culture of keeping most of the interesting conversation off-list still mystifies me and is quite opposite from other lists of which I am a member.

There is an issue I guess with people not being bombarded with the same beginner questions but that will partially be addressed by the upcoming FAQ and in fact most questions and answers include points of interest for most people somewhere within.  Even if it just reminds old hands of the level of knowledge and viewpoint of the more beginners.  There is a good argument, for example, that the discussion of Grey vs Brown Gosshawks may have been at least as useful to as many people as the semantic discussions of eyass, and tercel etc.  Nothing against the latter conversation at all, just surprises me that people are willing to discuss this at some length but feel the need to suppress public discussion of an arguably interesting Gosshawk ID problem (interesting to a different audience perhaps, but still interesting).

Julian