canberrabirds

Crossword question?

To: "corp" <>, <>
Subject: Crossword question?
From: "Shaun Bagley" <>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 23:37:39 +1000
Given the mediocre clues in the Australian Cryptic crossword of recent times the answer might be NUDE, BARE or even BABE as in young without feathers for a 4 letter answer. However, I see it is for a 4 letter answer for 3 across in the Quick crossword so EYAS looks more likely, especially given the words down off the beginning and end letters (EBB & SOUP). Have to agree with Phil that it should be spelt EYASS but then the Focus solution from Thursday included AERY which is defined as either ETHERIAL or a variant of EYRIE ( a hawk's nest) both of which strike me as being of right up there in the ether as regards "proper" usage but what would I know with a spell-checker created in Seattle...

None too seriously

Shaun