canberrabirds

Crossword question?

To: <>
Subject: Crossword question?
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 20:37:11 +1000

A more confused question is: what does ‘unfledged’ mean?  The weight of dictionary definitions favours a meaning for ‘fledged’ along the lines of (a) intransitively, to become fully plumed, or (b) transitively, to bring up a young bird until its feathers are grown, or to furnish with feathers.

The  ‘New Dictionary of Birds’ defines ‘fledging’ as ‘term usually applied to the acquisition by a young bird of its first true feathers; when the process is complete the bird is “fledged”, and may for a short time be described as a “fledgling” ‘.

However, there is at least a local usage that after some uncertainty I have followed that uses ‘fledge’ to mean leave, or fly from, the nest, as in ‘The nestlings fledged yesterday morning’. I must say I have never been entirely happy with that sense, if only because of the ambiguity involved.  If we mean ‘leave the nest’ it is easy enough to say to say so, without using a term in a special sense, and perhaps one not widely understood.

Perhaps the confusion goes back to the root of ‘fledge’ in a Germanic word meaning ‘to fly’.

Gill’s ‘Ornithology’ might or might not represent the current insider fashion with the following contribution, under the heading ‘Fledging from the nest’.   On the one hand ‘the fledging period is the interval between hatching and flight’.  On the other hand, ‘The moment of departure from the nest by altricial birds is commonly termed fledging even though the young birds may only flutter and scramble about for a few days before their first flight’.

It seems that for the bird-studying community the term may be shifting in meaning, but I am afraid that both meanings are likely to persist for some time.