canberrabirds

A sunny morning with a US vsiitor

To: <>
Subject: A sunny morning with a US vsiitor
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 08:56:35 +1000

Starting off with Bill from Barton, nineish, we noted the choughs dodging the parental vehicles at the Telopea school morning madness.  Bill knew about the choughs, but wouldn’t want to know about the parents.

Then down to Kellys, where the first bird on view was Old Palebelly, the Little Eagle, hanging in the blue sky over the swamp.  A fair sprinkling of bushbirds in the shrub plantings, including Red-browed Finches foraging among the seed capsules of the casuarinas.  I have noticed before that RBFs like to feed in such trees, presumably on the young seeds.  Early reedwarblers were on background-noise duty.

Approaching FSP from the southern, less fortified, approach, Bill made the acquaintance of a cisticola, and then joined in the compulsory Scanning of the Ducks.  A male Blue-billed displayed for a nearby female, choosing Rapid Neck-stretching for a first number, and then did Basic Wing-flapping.  A pair of Black-fronted Dots had managed to find a sunning spot on the Heaped Scunge at the side of one of the ponds.

Not much immediately in evidence at the Newline paddock, but a bit of time was spent on Tree Martins and the ever-varied calls of Striated Pardalotes.  There was a quite dramatic chase of a male sparrowhawk by Noisy Miners and wphes.

Then, I must confess, there was a brief call at my place because I had forgotten to get out the frozen chops before leaving that morning.  This enabled me to report the reedwarblers to the chatline.  This was also the occasion for a quick look at a short video on the local bird-life, before a call at Callum Brae.  Had we been keeping a list, a pair of kestrels and an NFB would have been added to it.

Lunch was at the Yarralumla English Garden minor eatery, where we both chose chicken and avocado focaccia sandwiches.  This, we found, is a great spot to discuss plumage-variation in the Australian Magpie, because all the basic kinds are on view, close at hand.  We also got the customary view of a female bowerbird up on a table, pinching sugar.  After lunch there was a viewing of a male and female SB at a nearby bower, before we drove back to Barton past the US embassy.