canberrabirds

Sea Eagle & the Raptor Twitchathon

To: "Jack and Andrea Holland" <>
Subject: Sea Eagle & the Raptor Twitchathon
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:12:08 +1000

Jack,

Funnily enough I forgot to mention the Peregrine Falcon I saw yesterday morning along Brooklands Rd. This is unfortunately just outside the ACT off Wallaroo Rd.
Not far down the Murrumbidgee Corridor from Shepherd's Lookout though, where the Peregrines were absent yesterday.

Cheers
Marnix

"Jack and Andrea Holland" <>

27/08/2006 09:45 PM

"Marnix Zwankhuizen" <>, <>
cc
Subject
[canberrabirds]  Sea Eagle & the Raptor Twitchathon
  Classification

Marnix - your report of the Sea Eagle and other raptors in the Murrumbidgee corridor is timely as it allows me the opportunity to ask subscribers for any reliable spots within the ACT to see raptors where we can go during the raptor twitchathon next Sunday 3 September.

Our intended route/itinerary is to visit the Jerrabomberra wetlands first (this seems to have been the most reliable spot for seeing raptors over the past few months) and possibly Campbell Park/Newline Quarry, and then do a circuit to the west of Canberra via the Cotter and Uriarra Crossing, possibly taking in the Woodstock Reserve (if time allows).

Apart from seeing the White-bellied Sea-eagle (which will take a bit of luck), the other species that I'm least confident in finding on the day are Collared Sparrowhawk, Australian Hobby and Peregrine Falcon.  If any one knows where any one of these species can be reliably observed at the moment could you please let me know - please do this off the chat line if this is sensitive information (eg breeding).

Of course if you know a currently reliable spot for any other raptor species, I'd be very grateful for this information too.

Jack Holland