canberrabirds

Magpies

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Magpies
From: "David Cook" <>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:27:44 +1000
I've had some questions put to me off-list regarding the ACT Govt's plans to euthanase "troublesome" magpies, which people may know the answers to or willing to offer reasoned conjecture upon:

1. If a male is either killed or removed while his mate is brooding chicks, will another male take its place?

2. If so, what will the new male do to existing chicks fathered by the previous male?

3. If another male does not move in, what are the survival chances of mum and the kids without dad?

I've had a look through the new Hanzab and it doesn't seem to cover these issues specifically (unless I've missed the appropriate paras). My gut feelings are that: 1) Breeders that have helpers (not all have) may see a helper assume the place of the missing male; 2) helpers tend to be related to the breeders (often previous year's offspring) and would regard the new chicks as relatives (same gene pool?) and therefore not harm them; and 3) survival of the chicks would depend upon environmental factors, such as adequacy of food and being left alone by predators (including humans!)

My opinion is that we should leave them alone.

David