canberrabirds

GPS

To: "Martin and Frances" <>, <>
Subject: GPS
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 07:48:07 Australia/NSW
Hi Julienne,

You may want to check out Johnny Appleseed http://www.ja-gps.com.au/ up in
Brisbane. They ship all over the country, have competitive prices, and are very
helpful. They sell the Garmin eTrex or Gecko(and multiple variations of)
starting at $194 Australian. I bought a Garmin 72, but only because I was
working in a rainforest and needed more features (including the more accurate
antenna).

One thing I would recommend is checking out this page where you can compare all
the available features for the eTrex and Gecko.

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/gpscomparison3.html

Or you could start on this page which takes you through the process of
deciding...

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/search.aspx

I'd also advise checking out this page which deals with all the interface
software. I spent very little and picked up Garmin Mapsource trip and waypoint
manager for around 50 dollars and it did everything I needed.

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin_mapping_flow.html

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/mapsource_waypointmanager.html

Anyways, hope that is helpful and not too aunting.

Once you know what you want you can try ebay or epinions on the web to see how
you can go getting a better price perhaps overseas, but at the time I found
that with shipping and exchange rates, Johnny Appleseed was very competitive
(but admitedly that was two years ago).

All the best,

Adam