canberrabirds

Trip Report

To: "COG-L" <>
Subject: Trip Report
From: "Lindsay and Rhonda" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:14:04 +1000

Hi everyone

Rhonda and I have just returned from two and a half months wandering around northern NSW, southern and central Queensland.  High on the agenda was some birding and we managed 218 species including 23 lifers.  The trip included Coffs Harbour, Murwillimbah/Tweed Valley, Lamington NP, Hervey Bay, Frazer Island, Yeppoon, inland to the gemfields at Rubyvale/Sapphire, Carnarvon Gorge, Roma and Lightning Ridge.

Birding highlights were the large numbers of honeyeaters – 26 species seen including two lifers (Dusky and Varied), sighting the Albert’s Lyrebird, photographing the Paradise Riflebird, sighting the Brolga, Bustard and Bush Stone-curlew at Yeppoon and the many wrens (White-winged, Variegated and Red-backed).  We agreed our favourite spot was Wooli near Grafton and particularly the profusion of wildflowers and the many, many honeyeaters (particularly Tawny-crowned and White-cheeked but also Scarlet, Brown ,Striped and Wattlebirds and Friarbirds) in the heath land in Yurrigar NP.  We got some great photos of them which we have/will provide to David for the Gallery.

For anyone who has not been to Carnarvon Gorge, I commend it.  Lots of birds and terrific scenery.  Lightning Ridge was also interesting for the many species of mulga /mallee birds.

Some interesting observations made along the way which I will share separately rather than make this too long.

Regards

Lindsay Hansch