canberrabirds

Further to an unusual (?) feeding incident

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Further to an unusual (?) feeding incident
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:44:24 +1000
Geoffrey Dabb has made an interesting off-group comment about my assumption it was a juvenile Crested Shrike-tit that I saw apparently taking food from a Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike at Oura beach. Viz:

"they seem to be consistently late nesters, not starting around here until November.  From the books, I would think the earliest the female starts to build the elaborate nest would be in August.  Therefore your juvenile would probably be a late fledger – maybe in Jan or Feb, so the parents might have been a bit tired of it by now.  They do seem to carry on for some time with that wing-quivering stuff, I suppose because the feeding technique is quite difficult to master."

Accordingly, John Layton makes mental note to study the text in future, no matter how familiar he believes he may be with a species, rather than merely pouring over the pretty mug shots in his bird books prior to pronouncing the stage the bird has reached.

John K. Layton