canberrabirds

large photos

To: <>
Subject: large photos
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:40:09 +1000
I suspect that many enjoyable photos (and especially groups of them that often make interesting photo-essays) are too big to satisfy the desires of dial-up connectees. I too find photography one of the main reasons for birding, and so do a couple of people who have written to me privately. I wonder if there is a case for a separate group that covers photos (or photos other than little ones) and the discussion that goes with it. I think this seems to be a genuine interest that does not suit many people on this list and would not divide the community too much. Or we could share photos via a photo sharing site like flikr that I subscribe to. I am thinking as I write, and on reflection I think the best solution is for us photo-buffs to join flikr and establish a canberra bird group there.

Flikr is a yahoo based thing, and I hate Yahoo, but Flikr is fantastic. You need to join yahoo, then pay USD25 a year (at the moment, I think it will reduce) to post lots of photos. Membership for up to 2MB a month is free. Once joined, you post photos once, and assign them to a "group" which could be called "Canberra Birds". Then anyone can log in and see all the photos in the group. There is a well-established and efficient means of conversing via comments on photos.

As an example, here is my "set" of bird photos that I think can be seen by non-members as well as members...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozjulian/sets/72057594048470618/

Recent photos are at the bottom, if you click on any thumbnail you will see the main image page for that photo with its comments. Larger versions of images are accessed by clicking on "all sizes" above the main photo.

Any interest?

Julian