canberrabirds

Re: pair of scarlet HEs

To: <>, "William Compston" <>
Subject: Re: pair of scarlet HEs
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 16:29:41 +1000
Would that be the first ever Canberra record of a pair of (as in more than one) scarlet HEs? Is the Scarlet Honeyeater increasingly arriving here? I suggest it is and so does Steve Wilson's book. As far as I know we have only had rare individuals previously but it seems to be happening more. Someone reported one at ANBG a week or two ago. The GBS Report mentions they are here only from August to October. So this record is consistent. The COG Atlas says "very rare summer migrant" yet the few records it mentions are not really consistent with being a summer migrant. Steve Wilson's book (with the benefit of a bigger sample size and being several years later) has a better analysis (August to December) That is the trend but I don't get the reason. Is it just a random sampling result? That is an oddly broad time of year for a bird to pass through here.