canberrabirds

Re: Lake Ginninderra White-fronted Chats

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Re: Lake Ginninderra White-fronted Chats
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:07:51 +1000
Dear fellow chat group members

That seems an appropriate salutation because, after all, the subject of my missive is Chats.

A concerned member has castigated me (albeit gently) off-line for my trail-bike riding activities at Lake Ginninderra circa 1977. Accordingly, for your information, here is my response:

Dear Ms X

While I acknowlege your concern that my trail-bike riding at Lake Ginninderra may have contributed to the demise of the local population of White-fronted Chats, I dismiss your criticism. See, I believe the banishment of the Lake Ginn chats was initiated by the roar of earthmoving machinery, not to mention the Wagnerian-esque barrage issuing from the exhaust of Ranger Sasquatch's Volkswagen Kombi truck, long before I trespassed there.

And, no, I didn't think much about my behaviour at the time, and I doubt if you would have either had you glimpsed Ranger Sasquatch and her blitzkrieg buggy looming large in your rear-view mirror.

And, I never took my trail bike there again. Primarily, out of respect for the remaining wildlife and, secondarily, because Ride of the Valkyries is not my preferred kind of trail-bike riding music.

I trust I've exonerated myself. Nice to have chatted with you.

Yours etc
John K. Layton
Sensitive Birdwatcher and Motorcycle Buff of Holt