canberrabirds

Tidbinbilla and other places

To: <>
Subject: Tidbinbilla and other places
From: "Allan & Hazel Wright" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:29:58 +1000
On Thurs 20 July we took a visitor from Perth for a days birding around some local spots. Our first call was Tidbinbilla (I think he was sick of us telling him what it was like before the fires!!) and birds were thin on the ground. A SLyrebird was calling from afar, SCCockatoos flying high above us, GST, W-eH/e, Scarlet Robins, W-bScrubwrens and SFWrens, RWattle and ARavens plus the usual water birds. Pretty lean pickings.

However, on the way back we saw 3 WTEagles circling above the telecommunications tower on the L side of the road adjacent to the Tracking Station.

We next went to the Redwood Grove at Fairbairn looking for SWarblers. Optimistic but hopeless same at Campbell Park. But the Buff-rumped Thornbills were a new bird for Peter. By this time there was a very cold wind blowing; but on we went to the ANBG were we looked longingly for the Pink Robin without success but did manage EYR, ESpinebill and WTTreecreeper.

Only enough time for a drive around the Lake. RR and King Parrots at Weston Park and it was time to go. Peter saw only one lifer but was very happy looking at our common species - even Crimson Rosellas were greatly admired.

Our thanks to those people who provided advice about likely spots to visit. Unfortunately the populations of birds in the ACT are not what they used to be.

Allan and Hazel Wright
Canberra ACT

The Nation's Capital