canberrabirds

Crescent Honeyeater in BotG?

To: "Michael & Janette Lenz" <>
Subject: Crescent Honeyeater in BotG?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 13:13:13 +1000
I reckon that Michael's suggestion is very likely true. The species through most of its range is associated with wet forest or heathland. I for one have never seen so many, as in Tasmania's wet forest. The generally dry conditions in the ACT over the last few years could easily have reduced its breeding success, which is surely the likely source of the birds in Canberra during the winter. Also I would comment that I didn't see any of them during the April honeyeater survey (and I don't know that anyone did, Nicky may know). That too is unusual. Also the species is noisy and active through the year. If they are not being heard at ANBG, they probably aren't there. (Though that is a generalisation.)