canberrabirds

Quiz 5 colours

To: <>
Subject: Quiz 5 colours
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 15:39:44 +1000

I have replied separately and at some length to Julian on this, explaining why I think my colours were reasonably accurate for light and body-part. He has a professional interest in colouration.

With everyone snapping away with their digitals, I think the colour of birds is something we are going to hear a LOT more about.

By the time I look at an image on my monitor, it has already been ‘read’ three times:  once by the camera, once by my computer program, once by my monitor settings.  When it appears on your monitor it has been interpreted a couple of times more.  In editing, just changing the intensity of the light or contrast can markedly change the appearance of a colour.  Many digital images I have seen show signs also of manipulation also of the hue and saturation.  Whether this was with the object of producing the colour that my monitor reveals or a different colour I will never know.

These seem to be the main reasons for manipulating a colour:

a)       Inadvertent (well OK, I agree that’s not a reason);

b)      to produce the colour that your eye saw;

c)       to produce the colour your eye would have seen if it was a better and brighter day;

d)      to produce the colour that your field guide shows;

e)       to produce a colour that should be there (Hey, look, it’s an Orange-bellied Parrot, so let’s have some orange!);

f)        to produce a more attractive picture even if it is lurid (lurid can be a very attractive quality) well beyond the point of what is natural.

For myself, I see nothing wrong with any of these, except maybe (a), depending on your purpose.