canberrabirds

RE:The Grey faced Lapwing

To: <>
Subject: RE:The Grey faced Lapwing
From: "Frank Antram" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 21:02:02 +1000
I probably shouldn't, but I can't help wading into this debate about the
GFL!  Shaun, I'm sorry but I don't see the relevance of your comparison with
Starlings, Blackbirds, etc - yes, these species were brought here by humans,
and are now established breeding residents and, consequently, accepted on
the Australian list.  However, one GFL - the first ever, as far as we know -
has turned up.  Whether it is a genuine vagrant or not, may be open to
question, but it is not a question of whether the species should be added to
the Australian list.  Also, your assertion that the occurrence of the
species (GFL) in Australia is not unexpected as it occurs "just north of
Australia" is not correct, according to information in books that I have,
anyway.  As far as I know (and this is only what I read in reference books -
well, one reference book, to be honest!), the species has two breeding
populations (extent of inter-mingling of populations unknown) in eastern
Siberia and northern Japan.  The Siberian population winters in the NE
Oriental region, and the Japanese one in Southern Honshu (Japan).
Southwards vagrants have been recorded in Andaman Islands, Malaysia,
Philippines, Borneo and Sulawesi.  This is not really just north of
Australia.  Nevertheless, I'm not questioning that the GFL is a genuine
vagrant and a 'victim' of reverse migration, because the other possibilities
seem so remote that they are scarcely credible, callouses or no callouses.
And, just in case anyone thinks I'm trying to justify having the GFL on my
Australian list, I haven't seen it...I'd love to, because it looks from the
pics like a pretty nice bird, but it is just too far away for me to be able
to get there :(

Regards
Frank