canberrabirds

Quiz 4 answers

To: <>
Subject: Quiz 4 answers
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:24:22 +1000

This was really hard and there was a small number of entries.  Here is the graphic again, a bit smaller, but I won’t repeat the clues.

The solution to the Gone with the Wind clue was as follows, but only Richard Allen was led to the correct solution.

(Actually I think I might have put in the SR there that had its bill open, but I won’t do it again.)  Answers are below.  The thrice-repeated common adjective was ‘Australian’ and the double was ‘Painted’.  It was a Painted Honeyeater that appeared twice.  2, 4, 16b, 26, 30 contain all the vowels.  The ‘National Pastime’ was ‘Australian Hobby’;  inexplicably, nobody got this.  (Steve Holliday got a half point for the ingenious ‘Welcome Swallow’).

1  Satin Bowerbird

2  Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike

3  Australian Wood Duck

4  Painted Button-quail

5  Grey Fantail

6  Common Koel

7  Great Egret

8  Eastern Yellow Robin

9  Scarlet Robin

10 White-throated Treecreeper

11 House Sparrow

12 Mistletoebird

13 Crimson Chat

14 White-browed Scrubwren

15 Red-browed Finch

16 Hardhead & Australasian Shoveler (one point each)

17 Painted Honeyeater

18 Australian Hobby

19 New Holland Honeyeater

20 White-browed Babbler

21 Striated Pardalote

22 Spotless Crake

23 Musk Duck

24 Painted Honeyeater

25 Regent Honeyeater

26 White-plumed Honeyeater

27 White-winged Chough

28 Varied Sittella

29 Pied (doesn’t rhyme with ‘footy’) Oystercatcher

30 Turquoise Parrot

31 Australian Raven

Everyone got 6 and 12, but only Anthony Overs got 30.  Steve and Richard tied for most correct on 19, and Richard edged ahead with more correct nouns.  There were 5 that nobody got, and here they are, to show how easy it was:

There were more entries for the somewhat easier Quiz 5, answers to which tomorrow.