canberrabirds

Kelly's (the potential Werribee mini-me)

To: "COG list" <>
Subject: Kelly's (the potential Werribee mini-me)
From: "Frank Antram" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:24:24 +1000

I, for one, have often thought, like Peter, that Kelly’s has a lot of potential if it was managed for birds.  I don’t think we’re talking Werribee here, Philip, but, if water levels were managed to ensure there were always muddy fringes for waders and crakes; vegetation was managed, especially on islands, to provide better breeding and roosting sites; foxes were controlled and access by cattle, dogs, etc, restricted (not to mention, humans picnicking in front of the hides!), the site would be much more attractive to passing waders, terns and ducks.  Whilst I accept that the proximity of the airport is an issue, I’m not sure how much of an issue it really is.  After all, Kelly’s is already there, with the adjacent STW and Lake Burley Griffin, and they’re not *that* close to the airport.  How does Townsville manage with Townsville Common at the end of the runway, and more birds than Canberra can dream of?!  Anyway, if ‘managing’ Kelly’s simply resulted in vast flocks of pelicans, swans and silver gulls, then it would be the wrong sort of management!

Regards

Frank