canberrabirds

Yass River, Wollogorang, Lake George - 18 June

Subject: Yass River, Wollogorang, Lake George - 18 June
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:44:07 +1000

I had thoroughly enjoyable day yesterday driving the back roads just to the north of Canberra. Considering it is winter and there isn't much happening in Canberra at the moment there was quite a bit to see across the border. The route I took was basically the following:

> N from Gungahlin along Barton Hwy, right at Murrumbateman, onto Yass River Rd, right on to Back Creek Rd, left on Gundaroo Rd, right on Marked Tree Rd, N from Collector to Breadalbane, right on Wollogorang Rd, right onto Federal Hwy back along L George to Gungahlin. Despite L George and most lagoons being dry (Rose & Wollogorang) many waterbirds had dispersed to nearby dams instead. Wet Lagoon had some water.

Highlights, with some standouts (total for day in brackets):
  • Emu (2) - captive?, on property along Marked Tree Rd.
  • Brown Quail (1) - probably more, in Wet Lagoon.
  • Musk Duck (3)
  • Australasian Shoveler (8)
  • Australian Shelduck (4)
  • Yellow-billed Spoonbill (1) - first record for 2006 for COG Area of Interest? Unusual in winter?
  • Brown Falcon (3)
  • Black-fronted Dotterel (4)
  • Brown Treecreeper (3)
  • Yellow-rumped Thornbill (93+)
  • Southern Whiteface (3)
  • White-fronted Chat (16)
  • Jacky Winter (2)
  • Hooded Robin (1)
  • Scarlet Robin (3)
  • Flame Robin (20) - inc. 1male roadkill.
  • Eastern Shrike-tit (5) - family? group of 5 birds inc. 2 males, 2 females and 1 begging (female) juvenile.
  • Little Raven (430+)
  • Diamond Firetail (7)

Almost no honeyeater activity apart from White-plumeds and Wattlebirds. Some E. cinerea in flower.

Cheers

Marnix

IMPORTANT:

This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on (02) 6271 4777 and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.