canberrabirds

Dusky Woodswallow again

To: <>
Subject: Dusky Woodswallow again
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 12:43:54 +1000
Hi John,

I'm sure you're right. Actually the point is that yes Dusky Woodswallows are probably at Lake Ginninderra and many other likely breeding sites for them throughout the summer months. After being fairly closely tied to these sites, it is at this time of year that they disperse away from those local breeding sites and that they overfly the suburbs more. This no doubt, is why the recorded abundance increases in the GBS results at this time of year. GBS is sampling the suburbs rather than the woodland. Same pattern occurs in lots of local species. Also I wasn't being facetious about the birds maybe moving out later in recent years. The known peak in April is based on GBS results from 1981 to 2002 and there is no doubt over the accuracy of that trend. It is possible that with global warming or drought, the migration out may now be occurring later.

Philip

p.s. FWIW? That is a new one. I've no idea what that is.