canberrabirds

Re: Northside Satin Bowerbird

To: <>
Subject: Re: Northside Satin Bowerbird
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 14:16:48 +1000
Thanks Philip - as I guessed, common.  I did also see a Red Browed Finch and got a poor but recognisable photograph, so am encouraged to go back.  My bird enthusiasm stems partly from the desire to get interesting photos of birds.  (Some of my photos here http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozjulian/sets/72057594048470618/ )

I am interested in your observation often stated on this group that bowerbirds and others are in the process of moving into the ACT and/or Canberra.  What is the force behind this?  Why only in the last few decades does it seem that so many species are spreading so much?  (Corellas and Crested Pigeons and maybe Superb Parrots are on my mind).

Second question while I am on a roll, I looked up the birdata http://www.birdata.com.au/map_top.html to see if Satin Bowerbirds were common here, and their map at the highest level of detail available to me shows several dots meaning sightings.  But this doesn't tell me how common they are, after all there may have been only 20 birds in the last 10 years, on the other hand they could be here all the time. Is there a web resource that tells you how common a wide variety of species is in a particular area?

Thanks again

Julian