canberrabirds

cicada secrets

To: <>
Subject: cicada secrets
From: "shaun bagley" <>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 13:47:07 +1000
My learned friend may well have a point about it being a field cricket, though I must plead distraction since the mole cricket that lives outside my door was in full cry for hours over the weekend.

I also defer to his statement about my misuse of terminology in refering to cicadas as having a chrysalis form. Having been present in Chicago one year of 17 year cicada appearance, I know only too well that they go direct from nymph to adult. Though when thousands of cicadas are laying waste to the smaller shrubs in your garden with their ovipositors ripping evey twig in sight it is hard to think of those still advancing from the earth to some point of elevation where they split open the casing to emerge as adults as being "nymphs". Poetry in motion they are not, as interesting as they are.

Cheers

Shaun