canberrabirds

YFHEs & Diamond Firetails

To: <>
Subject: YFHEs & Diamond Firetails
From: <>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:45:40 +1000
Hi all,

On my way down to a friend's farm outside of Albury on Friday, I stopped
about 1 km along the Burrinjuck Dam Road to do a 2 ha survey where I had
done one several years ago(COG grid cell A2 I think it is). The site is
basically within open rolling paddocks, but there is a small dam and a
nice little copse of eucalypts, a massive willow, and a big pine tree,
as well as some roadside bushes.

As I arrived a couple of Diamond Firetails flew up from the edge of the
road and into the bushes. Over the 20-minute survey time the most I
managed to count was nine, and this included several immatures,
presumably indicating a successful breeding season. So it looks like DF
breeding success this year is not limited to just Canberra (though this
isn't far away really).

Also, at the end of the 20 minutes, a flock of migrating YFHE (40 or so
birds) moved rapidly through from the south and continued heading north
without really stopping.

Harvey Perkins
CRC Programme
ph (02) 6240 7103     fax (02) 6123 5525