canberrabirds

Honeyeater survey results

To: "Lashko Susan" <>, "Jenny Bounds" <>, <>, <>, "Martyn Moffat" <>, "Ruth Parker" <>, "Phyl Goddard" <>, "jack Holland" <>, <>, <>, "Tony Lawson" <>, "Muriel Brookield" <>, "John Cummings" <>
Subject: Honeyeater survey results
From: "Nicki Taws" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 18:13:30 +1000
To all those who participated in the honeyeater survey on Saturday 8th, a big thankyou. It was the first good day after the cold snap and certainly not unpleasant for birdwatching, however the results were surprisingly low.

At the different locations along the river, the totals of honeyeaters migrating were:
Shepherds Lookout  20
Casuarina Sands  321
Kambah Pool   131
Pine Island  60
Point Hut   31
Tharwa Sandwash  109
Smiths Rd (instead of Angle Crossing)   1680

The vast majority of birds were Yellow-faced, with some sites recording no White-naped, although perhaps 5% of the total at Smiths Rd were White-naped. There were occasional Wattlebirds, Friarbirds and the odd Spinebill. Interestingly at Smiths Rd there were about 40 White-eared honeyeaters seeming to move with the flocks and a few small groups of Spotted Pardalotes. The Smiths Rd/Angle Crossing area again proved to be the major route.

Unfortunately (?) Sunday seemed like it would have been a much better day (colder overnight and stiller), and there seemed to be more movement of honeyeaters across the suburbs (see Lindsay Hansch's email). I would've loved to go back to Smiths Rd as I'm sure there could've been several thousand crossing there in the morning but I couldn't make it. Thanks to Matthew Frawley who went down to Kambah Pool on the Sunday and counted c.800 between 9-11am.

Just for comparison, in 2003 (3 months after the fires) we held a similar survey on 6 April in good weather conditions, with a total of 13,700 counted across the same sites (8,400 at the old Angle Crossing site). The migration seems to have started a bit late this year, perhaps because of the warm dry March.

The next survey will be held on Sunday April 23rd. After Easter I will contact all those who have already said they will be available, but if anyone else wouuld like to join us, just let me know.

Nicki Taws
0408 210736