canberrabirds

Mynas

To: "canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Mynas
From: "Martin and Frances" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 20:53:14 -0500
I have just spent a few days in Fiji and was appalled at the number of mynas (both common and jungle) that were there.  This has raised a question in my mind which is possibly of relevance to Canberra.

My understanding was that if there is a lot of inbreeding due to a small population size there was a high probability of lethal genes becoming evident and thus the population self terminating.  Therefore we need to conserve a lot of examples of each species.  I thus have two questions. (1)  How many mynas need to be in an isolated population to keep it viable?  (2) Do mynas need a lower number of individuals than other species/genera .. orders to achieve this effect?

I hope my poor understanding of genetics doesn't obscure the basic question.

Also on the topic of Fiji.  If anyone else is going there I can, off-line, offer a good recommendation for hiring a car in Nadi (and possibly Suva).