canberrabirds

Unusual dove: name & taxonomy

To: "Mike Hooper" <>, "Rod's Gardening" <>, <>
Subject: Unusual dove: name & taxonomy
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 12:26:34 +1100
Regarding Mike's comment below (which I read after sending my reply, otherwise I would have responded once, not twice). Lest anyone think there is disagreement between us over identification. The Barbary Dove Streptopelia risoria is the name most often given to what is generally believed to be the domestic form of the Eurasian Collared Dove (Streptopelia decaocto) or perhaps a similar species. This is one of those cases where the wild species ancestor of a domestic form is unknown or unclear. Therefore the original name leads to differences of opinion between references. However in this case I am sure we can use the name of the domestic form of the species, which is Barbary Dove Streptopelia risoria. It is a common pet and the bird commonly used by magicians for pulling out of hats etc. (when they are not using the fantail form of Columba livia).