canberrabirds

Tour de Mulligans-Goorooyarroo

Subject: Tour de Mulligans-Goorooyarroo
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 11:19:09 +1100

I went for a 3-hour bike tour of Mulligans Flat and Goorooyarroo Woodland Reserves on Sunday morning. The following were highlights in the over 40 species seen/heard:

Mulligans Flat
- Far east of the reserve by a dam were 1 male Crested Shrike-tit, 3 Sacred Kingfishers (inc juvenile), 3 White-winged Trillers (inc 2 begging juveniles), Mistletoebird, immature Shining Bronze-Cuckoo, Common Bronzewing.
- On the first dam near the car park were 5 Australasian Grebes (inc 4 young).
- Some 200m from the car park were a Grey Butcherbird, a Leaden Flycatcher, 2 Sacred Kingfishers, 6 Varied Sittellas and a Little Friarbird in eucalypt blossoms, also a Jacky Lizard. I could hear a Pallid Cuckoo calling from a nearby field (I have not heard or seen this species all summer???)
- By the large dam were a male and female Superb Parrots and a Shingleback Skink.

Goorooyarroo
- In the far north of the reserve in excellent grassy woodland were 3 Hooded Robins (inc 1 juvenile = a successful breeding), 4 Speckled Warblers, a male Leaden Flycatcher and an Echidna. Nearby I watched a Spider Wasp dragging a large spider twice its size to its lair. There werent a lot of birds at Dunnarts Flat or along McKeahnie's Track.

The most common honeyeater was easily the Brown-headed Honeyeater, with 5 separate flocks heard. Both species of Gerygone were common and vocal.

Cheers
Marnix
IMPORTANT: This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on (02) 6271 4777 and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.