canberrabirds

pipit mimicry reply

To: <>
Subject: pipit mimicry reply
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 14:31:19 +1100
Hi Benj,
Well of course that is a possibility. If the Pipit call was a normal pipit call and not mimicry (or copying) of a Stubble Quail's call then all of the previous writing is irrelevant. I suppose I should have been more circumspect in my first advice, to say that you can't build a case of an interesting behaviour especially of mimicry, based on a single isolated observation, especially if there is no obvious context. If their normal calls are similar, I hardly think that why that is so, is of any relevance either, they are not closely enough related to suggest anything from that. I suppose the calls are within the same frequency and duration range, not sure whether that is enough to call them similar. Another point to make is that at this time of year there are many young birds for the first time, practicing their voices. So they come out with lots of weird calls. I have a family (2 adults & 3 dy) of Australian Ravens usually in the big tree in my yard. The young birds call a lot, making gurgly, groaning and all sorts of odd noises, even though some of it sounds like young kookaburras and pigeons, it isn't mimicry.