canberrabirds

World Wetlands Day

To: "tom green" <>
Subject: World Wetlands Day
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 20:33:20 +1100
Tom

I was at Kelly Swamp today, and can report that the water level was up a few cms from yesterday, possibly engineered to mark  WWD.  I also noticed your picture on the specially-mounted WWD posters.

I suggest you arm yourself to deal with the following questions:

1)  What is that green scunge on the water?
2)  Why are there so many rabbits?
3)  Can you point out a Little Grassbird?

Not a great deal else to point out, but who knows what might be there come Sunday?  A pair of nuptially-plumaged Royal Spoonbills were chasing one another in the scunge-encrusted shallows with evident intent.  There was also a pair of Spotless Crakes at the usual crake spot, visible from the base of the tree that some excited observers used to climb at the height of the crake season.  They were on the far side of the channel skulking over the fallen typha stalks, in view for several minutes, but that was at 7pm.