canberrabirds

"Italian" and Tree Sparrows

To: <>
Subject: "Italian" and Tree Sparrows
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:24:48 +1100

Hi all,

The plot thickens! I take Philip’s points about recessive genes etc leading to aberrant birds and possible populations of such but according to my 1999 copy of the Collins Bird Guide (to Europe) by Mullarney, Svensson, Zetterstrom and Grant, the “Italian” Sparrow is actually a hybrid between the House Sparrow, Passer domesticus, and the Spanish Sparrow, P. hispaniolensis. To quote from the relevant sections …(House Sparrow) – “Hybridizes with Spanish Sparrow (which see).” (Spanish Sparrow) – “Rather stable hybrid forms occur in southernmost Switzerland, N and C Italy (x italiae) and in Malta (x maltae).” It is of note that there are no such species as P. italiae or P. maltae. On the page facing the above information is an illustration of an “Italian” Sparrow with “normal” House Sparrows. How this hybrid came to be in Australia I don’t know. My copy of John Long’s book on introduced birds is buried under a pile of other books following a lot of shifting things around after my children left home and I haven’t yet gotten around to sorting things out. Interestingly it is not mentioned in Dick Schodde and Ian Mason’s 1999 Directory of Australian Birds. I have not (re)read the paper by Nicola Clark lately!!

On another associated note mention was made by David McDonald of the birds seen by Terry Gourlay possibly being Tree Sparrows and noting that we really don’t want another introduction around. The Tree Sparrow is common in South East Asia and to my way of thinking will sooner or later arrive in Australia under its own power. It has already come into Darwin recently, probably ship assisted, but with the continued clearing in Indonesia and West Irian I feel it will get here via the Torres Strait Islands or via the Commonwealth Territories in the Timor Sea. A lot of species have recently been added to the Australian list from Christmas Island and Ashmore Reef.

I hope this helps sort somewhat the birds in question. I am sure there are better qualified people than me who could make more relevant comments.

Mark