canberrabirds

Distressed pelican

To: <&.Jim.Peachey>
Subject: Distressed pelican
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 18:34:33 +1100
Hi Marg, Meg

At Kelly Swamp about 6pm today a pelican flew in that perched unsteadily on a log and was unable to settle because it was entangled in a fishing line wrapped around its left foot and then around the bend of its left wing. I reported this to Canberra connect but was told that the bird was a well-known LBG frequenter and rangers had been attempting to catch it for about a year. I was a little surprised by this as the bird looked partially disabled to me, and the end of the fishing line had a small fish - perhaps 6-7cm - that seemed to be flapping, as if it had been just hooked or had been used as live bait. Anyway, the fish seemed in good condition, relatively. If the bird can fly OK and feed itself I suppose there's nothing to be done. If on the other hand its disability is increasing it might get weaker to the point where it can be caught and the line removed, so monitoring might serve some purpose. There is a possibility, I suppose, that it is a second entangled bird.

               Geoffrey Dabb
email    :
ph/fax   :   02 6295 3449