canberrabirds

Re: not so common sandpiper

Subject: Re: not so common sandpiper
From: "Harvey Perkins" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:36:49 +1100 (EST)
Hi Alastair,

Sorry to hear you dipped on the sandpiper. Sounds like it?s being more
difficult to locate this year. I?ve never looked further downstream than
the sandbank. And only occasionally do I look upstream of the bridge, and
that usually when I haven?t located it between the bridge and the
sandbank. But it does go upstream. Geoff Dabb got most of his photos of it
when it was on rocks just upstream of the bridge and I have seen it up
there on a couple of occasions. I don?t have any hard evidence on just how
far it ranges, but my feeling is that it stays within a fairly restricted
stretch of the river, possibly within several hundred metres either side
of the bridge. I?ve also seen it happily foraging amongst the rocks
midstream and just downstream from the bridge even when there are people
and dogs a little further down at the beach and near the sandbank.