canberrabirds

leech socks

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: leech socks
From: "Michael and Janette" <>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 13:26:14 +1100
Mark - we bought 'leech socks' in Thailand as we were tramping through un-touristed tropical forests. They are a form of dense cotton or calico 'christmas stockings' which you put on over your own socks and trousers and then tighten the laces to tie them under the knees. Shoes go on afterwards. We think there are three benefits - there are no 'gaps' where the leeches can enter (and the tight weave prevents this even more); they are while/cream so you can see the little blighters better; and thirdly, you can spray the leech socks with repellent more easily.

If you or your wife can sew, you can borrow ours as a pattern (one size fits all). Calico is very cheap.
Janette
ps. - we've used them to greater benefit here against ticks on south coast walks.