canberrabirds

Please explain!

To: "'Martin and Frances'" <>, "'canberrabirds'" <>
Subject: Please explain!
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 20:44:10 +1100

G’day Martin,

The crossing of the legs on bird skins serves several purposes but the most obvious is that it stops them “flapping up and down” and ultimately falling or being pulled or knocked off if handled carelessly - as specimens dry out the skin becomes quite brittle and very fragile, especially on smallish birds. I don’t know about other museums but in the ANWC in Canberra, when a specimen is prepared usually a metal or wooden rod pierces (inside what remains of) the skull near the base of the upper mandible and extends down through the gutted and stuffed body to emerge under the tail (most specimens are stored on their backs). The legs are also tied (crossed) under this rod to give extra strength as most museum labels are also tied onto the legs. Even with the legs in a crossed position it is still possible to take most tarsus, toe or claw measurements on most birds although I did have some problems measuring some swallow species for the next volume of HANZAB for the text writer, Jamie Mathew. I would hate to try a hummingbird!

Hope this in some way resolves your question.

All the best for the New Year (and to all the COGgies as well),

Cheers,

Mark